Just a reminder our first meeting of 2014 is coming up fast.
January 8, 2014. Doors open at 6:30, meeting starts at 7:00.
McNail-Riley House 601 W 13th in Eugene
We will be electing officers for the following positions:
- Program director (aka Glorious Organizer)
- Blogger/photographer (filled)
- Swap organizer
- Bee organizer
If you have a name tag, please wear it. With all the new faces it makes it much easier (and less embarrassing)!
Here is the promised information about each position we are volunteering for. Each position is for 1 year, January to January. The Portland Modern Quilt Guild has done a great job describing these and the duties involved. We will loosely follow what they have going on as we are a much smaller and informal group at this point.
- Arrange, schedule and facilitate meetings
- Assist/Coordinate in planning monthly meetings.
- Assist with organization and maintenance of each other position in the guild.
- Arrive 1/2 hour ahead of time to assist in set up and stay for clean up.
- Be the key guardian for McNail-Riley house or coordinate other meeting sites. Must keep a log of who has the key at all times and be in contact with the City of Eugene to have the key in Presidents name.
- Work with officers to establish bylaws and guidelines for the guild in accordance with The Modern Quilt Guild.
- Attend monthly guild meeting.
- Arrive 1/2 hour ahead of time to assist with set up and stay for clean up.
- Actively participate in guild leadership and decisions with the President and other officers.
- Help establish bylaws and guidelines for the guild in accordance with The Modern Quilt Guild.
- Act as de facto president when president is absent.
Program Director (aka Glorious Organizer)
Actively recruits a guest speaker for each meeting. Talks with the speaker about what to present and offering any help, encouragement and support
Actively works on future month’s meetings: content, lectures, social events, sewing projects etc.
Coordinating give aways or further challenges or events based on the program presented
Encourage members to be presenters
Have on hand “filler” material on hand in case a meeting runs short and or program changes.
Coordinates our Sew Days and Sew Nights.
- Maintain bank account including preparing monthly/quarterly statements, pay any bills that may incur including reimbursements to members
- Handle membership dues collection
- Maintain membership spreadsheet: including collecting new membership forms, entering data and keeping records updated
Maintain the blog in a timely fashion with the minutes posted within a week of each meeting. Maintain the calendar of events, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and Instagram accounts with fresh content related to our modern quilt guild. Also maintain the email account. Must have blogging experience and experience with all aspects of social media.
Organize and coordinate the yearly swaps for each meeting and have this posted to the blog. Announce each monthly swap and guidelines at each meeting, keeping in mind modern quilting esthetics.
Organize and coordinate the yearly quilt bee. Announce each monthly bee member and their project and keep track to sure each bee member gets their blocks sent and returned in a timely manner.
**Here are also some examples from The Modern Quilt Guild about bylaws and what the Austin Modern Quilt Guild has published. Please read through these if you are thinking about volunteering for a leadership position.
See you at the meeting on Wednesday night!